1895 - 1945 Origin
In late 19th century, Korean Emperor Gojong established the modern higher education system to promote nation's independence and modernization. After Korea was colonized by Japanese colonialism in 1910, most of the institutions were closed or taken over by the Japanese colonial administration. After the country was liberated from colonial rule in 1945, Seoul National University was established as the first national university, carrying on the royal institutions of the previous century.
Legal Training School (1895)
Seoul Normal School (1894)
Euhakkyo (1899) and the Great Han Medical Center (1907)
- Mar. 24, 1899 Imperial Order 7 issued to establish Euhakkyo (Medical School) to train modern medical practitioners
- Mar. 28, 1899 JI Seok-yeong (1855-1935), who developed the vaccination to eliminate small pox in Korea, was appointed as the first principal of Euhakkyo, and served until 1910
- Oct. 2, 1899 Euhakkyo opened in Gwanhun-dong, Jongno-gu
- Jan. 9, 1903 Euhakkyo produced its first graduates - 19 doctors
- Mar. 10, 1907 Great Han (Daehan) Medical Center was established in Yeongeon-dong, integrating Euhakkyo and Gwanghyewon hospital. Euhakkyo became the Teaching Division of Great Han Medical Center
Nursing Education Division established in the Great Han Hospital
- July 18, 1907 Teaching Division of Great Han Medical Center produced its first graduates - 13 doctors
- Nov. 1907 Teaching Division of Great Han Medical Center, formerly Euhakkyo, joined the medical center in Yeongeon-dong
- Feb. 1, 1909 Teaching Division was changed to the Medical School affiliated to Great Han Medical Center.
- Oct. 1, 1910 Under the Japanese imperial rule, Great Han Medical Center and its affiliated medical school was renamed as Viceroyalty Medical Center and its Medical School in Joseon (Korea)
- Apr. 1, 1916 Medical School affiliated to the Viceroyalty Medical Center was changed to Keijo Medical College
- Mar. 27, 1917 Keijo Medical College produced its first graduates - all 48 graduates were Koreans
- Aug. 22, 1946 Seoul National University's College of Medicine was established in Yeongeon-dong, merging Seoul Medical College and Seoul University's College of Medicine
School of Agriculture, Commerce, Engineering (1899)
- June 24, 1899 School of Commerce and Engineering established
- June 8, 1904 School of Commerce and Engineering was changed to School of Agriculture, Commerce, and Engineering, adding agricultural field.
- Sept. 10, 1906 School of Agriculture separated from the School of Agriculture, Commerce, and Engineering
- Jan. 1907 School of Agriculture moved to Suwon
- Mar. 1918 School of Agriculture changed to a three-year college, and was renamed to Suwon Agriculture and Forestry College
- Aug. 22, 1946 Suwon Agriculture and Forestry College became Seoul National University's College of Agriculture and Forestry.
- Apr. 1924 Keijo Imperial University was established by the Japanese colonial government
- Oct. 10, 1945 Lieutenant commander Alfred Crofts was appointed as president of Keijo Imperial University, and served until 7 December 1945
- Oct. 16, 1945 Keijo Imperial University was renamed as Seoul University by the USAMGIK Ordinance 15
- Aug. 22, 1946 Seoul University became a part of Seoul National University
Seoul Music College
- Dec. 25, 1945 Seoul (Gyeongseong) Music College was established as a private institution by musician HYUN Jae-myung
- Feb. 1, 1946 Seoul Music College opened
- Aug. 22, 1946 Seoul Music College became the Music Division of Seoul National University's College of Fine Arts